Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Day 6 of Our Split-Tank Adventures

When our beloved gerbil, D'Agosta, passed away, my fiance and I decided to find another tank-mate for our lonely gerbil, Pendergast. We found Tig, and brought him home to meet his new brother-from-another-mother. This is our first foray into using a split-tank!




Pendy seems to be getting used to Tig, which is a surprise because we had thought Pendy would be the difficult one. Pendy is very territorial and jealous when it comes to his tank, and to us! However, Pendy has made the first move towards friendship by attempting to groom Tig through the mesh divider.

Unfortunately, Tig is still in "attack" mode, and there have been several attempted assassinations during supervised play time! Tig was abused by his litter mates before he came home to us, so this may be influencing his current behavior.

Whatever the reason, it seems as though the boys will be in their split tank for a while longer. We are also going to have them switch sides more often. This allows Pendy and Tig to get used to each others scent, and helps prevent them from becoming too territorial. Fingers crossed that this works!

4 comments:

  1. trying to assassinate each other....

    this made me laugh outloud!

    can't wait to read all of the adventures!!

    Auntie Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pendy isn't always an angel. He made a very subtle attempt to flip Tig off the bed! It almost worked too!


    I'll be checking in on them from work too now, I'm sure. Keep us updated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care what you say. D's flying-ass attack on Ashley was the closest thing I've seen to an assassination attempt in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahahaha, I remember that! That hurt! I should blog about that.

    ReplyDelete